Photo courtesy of wholeliving.com
Tips for Building a Healthy Sandwich…
- Go for whole grain– choose the whole grain bread or wrap over the refined grain version for more fiber (ex- 100% whole wheat bread, sandwich thin, pita bread, Flat Out wrap, whole grain tortilla)
- For a lower carb option– use lettuce leaves in place of bread or use your favorite sandwich fillings to top a salad. For tuna, chicken, or egg salad, try using a hollowed out cucumber or bell pepper to hold your fillings.
- Choose lean proteins– lean deli ham, turkey, chicken or roast beef, canned tuna or chicken, grilled or roasted chicken or turkey, smoked salmon, tuna or egg salad, low-fat cheese
- Go vegetarian– hummus, bean spreads, babaganoush (eggplant spread), marinated tofu or tempeh, natural peanut butter or other nut butter
- Opt for healthy spreads– instead of regular mayonnaise choose light mayonnaise, mustard, avocado, hummus, olive tapenade, pesto, or low-sugar jam or sliced fresh fruit for a PBJ
- Add Veggies!–Fill up that sandwich or wrap with vegetables such as spinach, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, radishes, onions, mushrooms and more